Pages


No rivet counters allowed!

Tuesday 21 February 2012

Thoughts on unit organisation

Having got a few figures painted up now I'm turning my thoughts to the actual organisation of my troops.
I've recently got hold of a copy of the Rate of Fire rule book and I really like the system but the only small gripe I have with them is that they don't include any info on the organisation of the troops involved.

As such I've decided to follow the Rapid Fire organisations as I think these will work well with the RoF rules.

Rapid Fire roughly plays out at one figure to 15 men which obviously isn't exactly what I'll be planning for my smaller scale Rate of Fire games where 1 figure represents 1 man but the RF organisations give decent looking 'squads'

Here's an example of a RF British Rifle Company (or a Rate of Fire 'Squad')

Click on pictures to enlarge:


As you can see, the unit comprises of 6 x rifles, 1 x Bren gunner and a SMG armed NCO.



Well, that's another decision made... Time to get painting again!

4 comments:

  1. There are plenty of resources on the web for WWII unit organisations. Osprey's books on WWI infantry tactics are quite useful - Elite 105 (Squad and Platoon and Elite 122 (Company and Battalion) in particular.

    From memory, the British infantry section at full strength was 10 men, 8-9 with rifles, 0-1 with SMG, 1 with Bren. Late war in NW area, they might also have a PIAT.

    Good looking figs btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Tasmin. In the Rapid Fire set up the PIAT is part of the Command section along with a 2" mortar. I suppose these must have been dished out to support other sections as and when required. Thanks for the info!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Steve, the PIAT and 2"Mortar were the Platoon Commanders responsibility, and were based with the Platoon HQ for taskings, rather than just doled out willy nilly.

    The Flames of war website is quite useful for this sort of thing I think.

    Good work.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment!